Planning ahead and getting organized can be for yourself or for someone dear to you.
It is empowering to understand the choices available for how you will be remembered, mourned, celebrated and cared for after your death.
Explore all the decisions that need to be made after death using our Deathcare Choices sheet.
As you explore this concept, we invite you to consider:
- Make rational and logical decisions when the situation isn’t emotionally charged, saving your family the burden of doing it at a time when they’re being faced with confronting the reality of your death.
- The peace of mind of knowing that you’ve expressed your wishes and you trust they will be respected.
- If you pay in advance now, you will not have pay for the inflated prices of the same services in the future.
- Provide yourself the time and energy to have thoughtful conversations with the important people in your life and also with experienced deathcare professionals.
- You save your family from the financial burden because you can select services and merchandise according to your wishes, spiritual beliefs and budget.
- We are here to help. Contact us to plan ahead.
- What if I move away? The funds can be used by any funeral provider in Canada, we can help you with this process. There is no transfer penalty.
- What if KORU closes down? We aren’t planning on it! But if we do, all plans would be transferred to a values-aligned provider, with plenty of written and verbal notice to any affected families.
- How much will it cost? When you plan ahead, you pay for services at today’s prices. You can choose to pay in a lump sum, or over time using a payment plan.
It’s funny how we typically don’t plan ahead when it comes to our end-of-life care, rituals and ceremonies. During our lives, we plan for many situations including higher education, starting a family, vacations, big ticket purchases, weddings and retirement. We purchase insurance for situations that might happen like accidents, earthquakes, fire, floods, and theft. We save up.
Death, however, is a certainty, yet many of us fail to plan. Perhaps we neglect to plan in this realm because to do so means facing our own mortality. At KORU our day-to-day experience with families continually illustrates the practical and emotional benefits of planning ahead for one’s end of days.
- We can meet you in the comfort of your home, in our gathering room, or in your favourite cafe, for a one hour free consultation. It will be your choice to continue working with us.
- KORU is a locally owned and operated, grass-roots funeral business. When you call our office for information you will be able to speak to a licensed, trained and compassionate funeral director.
- Click here to go to learn more about KORU. Click here to learn more about KORU’s owner and founder, Ms. Ngaio Davis, her sister-partner Emily Bootle, and the many community affiliates we work with.
- We are here to help. Contact us to discuss planning ahead.
Thoughtful end of life planning begins with reflecting on who you are and what matters to you.
The process of contemplating your mortality and taking pragmatic action can enrich your life now. For custom support and inspiring writing on this topic, we invite you to visit our friends at www. willowEoL.com.
- Record personal information required for registering a death with the BC Vital Statistics Agency, click here to complete the vital statistics form.
- What will happen to your body? Burial, cremation, entombment, transfer to another city, body or organ donation? Read more
- Make specific selections for products like a casket or cremation container, an urn, a burial or urn vault, and a monument, memorial marker or memorial bench. View KORU’s Caskets & Shrouds, Urns & Memorial Jewellery to get a sense of your selection choices.
- Make choices for how you will be cared for and remembered. How will your death be marked by the people in your life? Celebration of life, church service, memorial service, potluck dinner at a friends? Any specific requests re: music, readings or how you’d like to see the people in your life be engaged to create a meaningful event? Your Choices.
- The services you plan ahead for do not have to be prepaid. However, the costs will be guaranteed not to increase if payment is made ahead of time. You can choose to pay in full or by monthly payments.
- Pre-paid plans made with KORU will have the financial backing and strength of TruStage Life of Canada, Canada’s leading insurer of families for funding and coverage of funeral services.
- Contact us to plan ahead. We are here to help.