Planning ahead and getting organized can be for yourself or part of helping someone dear to you. It can be empowering to understand the choices available for how you’ll be cared for after your death and how you’ll be remembered, mourned and celebrated by those you leave behind.
As you explore this concept, we invite you to consider:
It’s funny how we typically don’t plan ahead when it comes to our end-of-life care, rituals and ceremonies, also known as our funerals. During our lives, we plan for many situations including higher education, starting a family, vacations, big ticket purchases, weddings and retirement. We purchase insurance for situations that might happen like accidents, earthquakes, fire, floods, and theft. We save up.
Death, however, is a certainty, yet many of us fail to plan. Perhaps we neglect to plan in this realm because to do so means facing our own mortality. At KORU our day-to-day experience with families continually illustrates the practical and emotional benefits of planning ahead for the time of our death.
Thoughtful end of life planning begins with reflecting on who you are and what matters to you. The process of contemplating your mortality and taking pragmatic action can enrich your life now. For custom support and inspiring writing on this topic, we invite you to visit our friends at www. willowEoL.com.
If you plan ahead:
- You can make rational and logical decisions, saving your family the burden of trying their best to do this at time when they’re being with the reality of your death.
- You have the peace of mind of knowing that you’ve expressed your wishes and you trust they will be respected.
- You have the time and energy to have thoughtful conversations with the important people in your life and also with experienced funeral professionals.
- You save your family from the financial burden because you can select services and merchandise according to your wishes, spiritual beliefs and budget. You can either pre-pay or know what monies to set aside.
- We’re here to help. Contact us to plan ahead.
- Record personal information required for registering a death with the BC Vital Statistics Agency. Click here if you’d like to download or fill out the vital statistics form.
- Vitals statistics include: full legal name, address, spouse’s name, occupation, birth date, birthplace, parents’ names and their birthplaces, and information about your next of kin or executor.
- Make choices for how you will be cared for and remembered.
- How will your death be marked by the people in your life? Celebration of life, church service, memorial service, potluck dinner at a friends? Any specific requests re: music, readings or how you’d like to see the people in your life be engaged to create a meaningful event?
- What will happen to your body? Burial, cremation, entombment, transfer to another city, body or organ donation? Read more
- Make specific selections for products like a casket or cremation container, an urn, a burial or urn vault, and a monument, memorial marker or memorial bench.
- Visit our online KORU Shop and get a sense of your selection choices.
- Arrange a payment plan
- The services you plan ahead for do not have to be prepaid. However, the costs will be guaranteed not to increase if payment is made at one time or by monthly payments.
- Pre-paid plans made with KORU will have the financial backing and strength of Assurant Life of Canada, Canada’s leading insurer of families for funding and coverage of funeral services.
- We’re here to help. Contact us to plan ahead.
- It’s FREE! At KORU there is no membership fee or filing charges to record your wishes for your services.
- We’ll meet you in the comfort of your home, in our comfortable office, or in your favourite cafe, whichever is best for you.
- KORU is a locally owned and operated, grass-roots funeral business. Click here to go to our ABOUT page and learn more about our organization and our owner and founder, Ms. Ngaio Davis We provide simple and tailored cremation, burial and ceremony services that help you care for, remember, mourn and celebrate your family and friends.
- “The Inflation-Proof Plan” exclusively offered by KORU. If you are considering prepayment of your funeral, we believe this plan is the best plan available.
- We’re here to help. Contact us to discuss planning ahead.
- Click here to be directed to our Pre-plan Online Form
You’ll find our prices and packages straightforward and easy to understand. There are no hidden fees.
Visit the to see prices for urns, jewellry and other items to help you say goodbye and remember. Read more for all other pricing including planning for a simple cremation, a graveside service or a celebrations of life.
We have a section of FAQs or frequently asked questions including some specifically about planning ahead.